The New York Immigration Coalition has put out a Know Your Rights toolkit. The toolkit is available in
CUNY's Law School offers clinics to assist immigrants and non-citizens. Also take a look at CUNY CLEAR (Creating Law Enforcement Accountability & Responsibility) project which offers help with legal representation and consultation.
Wednesday, April 19, 2017
Monday, April 3, 2017
T, 4/4: Why does migration occur?
- Massey, Douglas S. 1999. “Why Does Immigration Occur? A Theoretical Synthesis.” Pp. 34‐52 in The Handbook of International Migration, edited by Charles Hirschman et al. New York: Russell Sage Foundation Press. (http://tinyurl.com/gmydrvt) (20pgs)
- Brief History of the Passport (http://tinyurl.com/hyxd9cn) (2pgs)
- Continue with massey article
- hand back papers
- check in on semester projects, interviews?
- write about both Passport article and Massey article
- Why do people migrate?
- Changes in societal structures wrought by outside forces (movie, NAFTA, etc.)
- Dinese D'souza and "illegals" and constitutional rights
- mapping migration movements
Monday, March 27, 2017
Thursday, March 23, 2017
3/16 Theorizing Assimilation ppt
This week we look at the basics of US immigration rights and analyze the political forces that led to the replacement of the national origins system of immigration with the race-neutral preferences system of the 1965 Reform, which is the basis for modern day immigration policy. How did the 1965 Reform change immigration patterns in the U.S.? Do you believe that the categories set up the by the 1965 Reform (The Family, Employees, Refugees/Asylees, Nonimmigrants, Investors, Diversity) are the right ones?
T, 3/21: Reforming the Quota System
- Federal Agencies of US Immigration System (http://tinyurl.com/gpra2wn)
- Current immigration stats-- policy governing who gains entry.
- Gerstle & Mollenkopf The Political Incorporation of Immigrants, Then and Now” (http://tinyurl.com/ztf3eea) (30pgs)
- Song, Sarah. (2009) “What does it mean to be an American?” Ethics, Spring 2009, pp.31-40. (http://tinyurl.com/jktk59f) (10pgs)
Th, 3/23: Basics of American Citizenship & Birthright citizenship (in-class debate)
- The U.S. Bill of Rights (http://www.billofrightsinstitute.org/founding-documents/bill-of-rights/)
- New York Times. 2010. “Room for Debate: The GOP and Birthright Citizenship.” (http://tinyurl.com/jpmsgxn)
So where are Americans migrating? This is a great little tool to show you where people are moving in the US. Enjoy!