Skip to main content

the US Census, race, and the "White" category

How much does "race" play into nativism and anti-immigrant sentiment? It might be worthwhile to consider the race or ethnic characteristics of the US population. The chart takes data from the 2010 US Census.


The question about the the "White" category always comes up, so here are some of the Census definitions to clarify.
DEFINITION OF WHITE USED IN THE 2010 CENSUS According to OMB, “White” refers to a person having origins in any of the original peoples of Europe, the Middle East, or North Africa. The White racial category includes people who marked the “White” checkbox. It also includes respondents who reported entries such as Caucasian or White; European entries, such as Irish, German, and Polish; Middle Eastern entries, such as Arab, Lebanese, and Palestinian; and North African entries, such as Algerian, Moroccan, and Egyptian.
In addition,
Individuals who chose more than one of the six race categories are referred to as the race in combination population, or as the group who reported more than one race. For example, respondents who reported they were White and Black or White and Asian and American Indian and Alaska Native would be included in the White in combination population. This population is also referred to as the multiple-race White population.
In other words, if we include Hispanic/White with White/Alone, the percentage of Whites jumps to 72.4%. In addition, another 2.4% of White in combination with another group is not indicated in the chart. Therefore, the total population who indicated any kind of "White" is 74.8%. Keep in mind that even those Hispanics who identified as Hispanic/White, doesn't mean that they necessarily view themselves as "White." But if the race options on the Census are White, Black or African-American, American Indian or Alaska Native, Asian, or Native Hawaiian or Other Pacific Islander, many Hispanics may elect "White."

We could also reverse that way of thinking and emphasize the Hispanic group. That is, if we combine "Hispanic, White" with "Hispanic, Non-White," Hispanics total 15.7% of the population. More detailed data about Hispanics may be found here.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Chinese Exclusion Act film

A new documentary from Ric Burns and Li-Shin Yu will broadcast on PBS in March 2017. See this site for more details: http://caamedia.org/get-involved/the-chinese-exclusion-act/

add a public Google calendar to your Android device

Subscribing to a Google calendar on Android is actually a two-step process. You must first subscribe to the calendar using the web version of Google Calendar and then add it to your Android device.

Migration Flipboard

As part of an ongoing way to get new and up-to-date readings to students, I've been playing with different tools. This blog was one way, but I have a sneaking suspicion that students don't really read the substantive posts available here...I've also considered creating a shared "class bibliography" project using Cite-u-Like or Zotero. The idea is that there must be a way to quickly and easily share articles recent articles that we may read regularly, but that students don't see. In this way it's akin to enlarging their circle of resources. Of course, we could just add students to our social networks such as Facebook or Twitter, but I'm not one of those instructors who is comfortable sharing my Facebook information with my students and sometimes I take long breaks from Twitter. So at present, I'm playing with Flipboard. I create my own "magazine" around a particular class I'm teaching- Stats or Migration- and put articles that I think…